The mission of the German Cultural Society, of Erie, Pennsylvania
is to preserve German values, customs, language and music through education and
activities. We encourage pride in the contributions of German-Americans to
American life. The German Cultural Society fosters harmonious relations between
the United States and the
German –speaking countries of Europe. We also
cooperate with other local ethnic groups and historical societies.
To the ends indicated in the above ‘Mission Statement’, the
German Cultural Society, of Erie,
Pennsylvania desires to offer
grants, matching grants, scholarships, stipends, and in-kind financial support
to qualified individuals or groups. Applicants for financial assistance shall
meet the following criteria and shall submit a completed Grant Application
form, along with any documents, multimedia, etc. that the applicant wishes to
offer in support of their project or request. Application Form
1. Applicants, or the school or organization applying for
a grant, must reside in, or have their primary residence or mailing address in Erie County, Pennsylvania.
2. Applications for financial assistance will be accepted
by the German Cultural Society, of Erie,
Pennsylvania at any time during
3. Only one application per individual or group will be
considered during a given calendar year.
4. The individual, or a representative of the group or
organization requesting a grant shall appear personally before a panel of
jurists made up of members of the German Cultural Society, of Erie to briefly articulate the project.
5. The panel of jurists will determine the amounts of all
6. Grant awards will normally be made in varying amounts
up to $1,000 and will be judged on need and merit.
7. Notification of awards will be made within 60 days of
receipt of the original application.
8. A brief monthly report of the overall progress of the
project shall be submitted to the German Cultural Society, commencing upon
notification of an award.
9. Projects or programs awarded financial assistance shall
be completed within one calendar year following the date of notification of an
award. Relief from this stipulation may be granted in certain situations but
must be requested in writing and under
no condition shall the completion date of the project extend beyond two years
from the date of notification of an award.
10. Upon completion of the project the recipient(s) shall
appear at a general membership meeting of the German Cultural Society, of Erie, to report, perform
or otherwise substantiate the consummation of the project.
1. Age, gender and ethnicity shall not be determining
factors in making awards, however special attention will be paid to youth and
youth oriented groups seeking a grant.
2. Applications from businesses and/or ‘for profit’
entities will not be considered.
3. All projects seeking financial assistance shall
demonstrate that the project is in some way related to German-American culture,
programs, language, history, travel, the performing arts, education, etc.
4. All interested applicants are encouraged to seek
consideration as these qualifications are loosely defined and subject to
interpretation and creativity.